- Calling your local dental society for a list of recommended dentists in your area. Your local dental society can be found in the Yellow Pages under "dentist."
- Searching online for dentists in your area. More and more dentists have websites explaining their approach and treatment methods.
- Pediatric Dentists/Pedodontists specialize in pediatric (children's) dentistry.
- Endodontists diagnose and treat diseased tooth pulp and perform root canal work (many general dentists also perform root canals).
- Prosthodontists specialize in crowns, bridges and dentures.
- Oral pathologists use laboratory procedures to diagnose diseases of the mouth. They also specialize in forensic dentistry.
- Oral/Maxillofacial surgeons perform surgical treatments, such as removing cysts, tumors and teeth. They can correct fractures or other jaw problems that require surgery, including temporomandibular joint (TMJ). They also use methods similar to those of plastic surgery to treat cosmetic problems of the jaw and face.
- Orthodontists correct improperly positioned teeth, using braces and other appliances to move teeth into a better position.
- Periodontists specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of gum disease.
Chung Hin Lau, DDS
Brooklyn, NY 11204